RE: st: Slope Index of Inequality

From   "Scholes, Shaun" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Slope Index of Inequality
Date   Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:26:32 +0000

Let me add (if it helps) that there are examples I have seen in academic papers where researchers have computed the SII on aggregate data using Weighted Least Squares: which in Stata can be done using OLS on transformed variables.
A useful reference is Wagstaff "On the measurement of Inequalities in Health" in Social Science & Medicine (1991;5;pp.545-557).

As Nick says below, more details on your desired measure/data structure/health outcomes would be needed for more detailed help.
Best wishes
Shaun

ON THE MEASUREMENT OF INEQUALITIES IN
HEALTH*
ADAM WAGSTAFF,' PIERELLA PA& and EDDY VAN DOORSLAER'
'School of Social Sciences, University of Sussex, Brighton BNI 9QN, U.K. ?Department of Social
Sciences, City University, London EClV OHB, U.K. and 'Institute of Medical Technology Assessment

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 19 January 2012 10:11
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Slope Index of Inequality

I imagine so. Typing -findit inequality- in Stata {NB] will show many user-written programs. They are likely to include what you seek, if only under a different name. For example, economists seem especially prone to using authors' names rather than conceptual tags.

If that fails, giving a precise reference and a precise definition might help jog someone's memory.

Nick