RE: st: Code to generate dummy variable from several categorical variables?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Code to generate dummy variable from several categorical variables?
Date   Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:12:58 +0000

Comments below. I think all the issues raised previously still bite.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of DEBORAH L. HUANG
Sent: 17 January 2012 19:40
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Code to generate dummy variable from several categorical variables?

Basically what I'm hoping to do is "collapse" the outcome variables A, B and C (all binary) into the new outcome indicator variable abnlX for ANOVA (e.g., comparison mean age across indicators, among other continuous demographic variables).

The new outcome variable abnlX would have 3 indicators (my mistake in the earlier message). As an indicator variable abnlX would be defined as follows:

abnlX indicator #1 =0 if A is 0 or missing, B is 0/1/missing, C is 0/1/missing; =1 if A is 1, B is 0/1/missing, C is 0/1/missing

abnlX indicator #2 =0 if B is 0 or missing, A is 0/1/missing, C is 0/1/missing; =1 if B is 1, A is 0/1/missing, C is 0/1/missing

abnlX indicator #3 =0 if C is 0 or missing, A is 0/1/missing, B is 0/1/missing; =1 if C is 1, A is 0/1/missing, C is 0/1/missing

% NJC: Already answered in this thread. Please note as before this can only be 3 outcome variables (not one) which are also indicators.

% gen abnlX1 = A == 1
% gen abnlX2 = B == 1
% gen abnlX3 = C == 1

Alternately for a categorical outcome variable abnlX it would be defined as follows:
abnlX=0 if A=0 or missing & B=0 or missing & C=0 or missing
abnlX=1 if A=1 & B=0/1/missing & C=0/1/missing
abnlX=2 if B=1 & A=0/1/missing & C=0/1/missing
abnlX=3 if C=1 & A=0/1/missing & B=0/1/missing

% NJC: This is not an indicator or dummy variable, as already explained on this thread, because there are 4 possible values.
% Note that, for example, A = 1 and B = 1 and C = 1 imply 1 _and_ 2 _and_ 3, so I am completely lost here on what you want.

Thank you again to everyone for your input, and hopefully this further clarifies my question.

Deborah Huang