Re: st: residuals when no variation in Y

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: residuals when no variation in Y
Date   Mon, 16 Jan 2012 08:57:51 +0000

The non-zero residuals arise because the data for the first panel
differ from the averaged relationship over all panels. Your -areg-
command doesn't mean that there is a separate regression for each
panel.

To make this clear:

predict predict
scatter y predict time if panel == 1, c(. l) sort lc(red) mc(red)  || ///
scatter y predict time if panel == 2, c(. l) sort lc(blue) mc(blue)

The predictions are the same for both panels.

Nick