Re: st: Code to generate dummy variable from several categorical variables?

From   daniel klein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Code to generate dummy variable from several categorical variables?
Date   Mon, 16 Jan 2012 01:41:30 +0100

Deborah,

I am not really getting what you are trying to do here (and whether it
makes sense), since you are not giving any infromation on your
variables, but would replacing the line

replace abnlX=2 if C==1

with

replace abnlX=2 if C==1 & mi(abnlX)

do what you want?

As a side issue, note that this

replace abnlX=2 if C==1 & (B==. | B==0 | B==1)

can be written as

replace abnlX=2 if C==1 & inlist(B, ., 0, 1)

See -help inlist()- and -help functions-

Best
Daniel

--
Hello,

I'm looking for code to generate a dummy variable from values of
several categorical variables which are not mutually exclusive. I've
tried to do this using the generate and replace commands but Stata is
changing the number of subjects in each dummy category as follows: