Re: st: Multiple Imputation (MI)

From   Alan Acock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Multiple Imputation (MI)
Date   Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:12:27 -0800

I think of secondary data as data others have collected and you are using. The choice of using multiple imputation has to be weighed against the alternatives. The default alternative that most procedures apply is casewise (listwise) deletion. This default assumes missing values are missing completely at random where multiple imputation only assumes missing at random. While multiple imputation may not be justified, it will be more reasonable than the default approach. Of course the more you know about the data the more options you have and if I have the same understanding as you do about what secondary data is, then you may have limited information about the data.
Alan Acock
[email protected]