RE: st: Cross-classification question

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Cross-classification question
Date   Mon, 9 Jan 2012 23:10:20 -0500

Hi Sarah,
You might get more feedback on this type of question on the Multilevel discussion list:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/learning/support/jisc.html ;

It's true that the data you describe don't fit neatly into the usual cross-classified modeling scenarios. The closest example I have sometimes seen used is a study of intellectual growth where the students change classrooms over time... within your model the cross-classification by students and classrooms is contemporaneous but perhaps similar methods might be useful. I think you are generally on the right track w.r.t. the random effect modeling you suggest, but the following papers may give you some additional guidance:

Luo, W., & Kwok, O.-M. (2011). The Consequences of Ignoring Individuals' Mobility in Multilevel Growth Models: A Monte Carlo Study. Journal of Educational and Behaviorial Statistics, Online First. http://jeb.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/07/30/1076998610394366.abstract

Fielding, A., & Goldstein, H. (2006). Cross-classified and Multiple Membership Structures in Multilevel Models: An Introduction and Review. Research Report RR791. Birmingham, UK: Department  for Education and Skills, University of Birmingham.http://www.socscistaff.bham.ac.uk/fielding/Cross_classified_review_RR791.pdf

Goldstein, H., Burgess, S., & McConnell, B. (2007). Modelling the effect of pupil mobility on school differences in educational achievement. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 170, 941-954.

Leckie, G. (2009). The complexity of school and neighbourhood effects and movements of pupils on school differences in models of educational achievement. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 172(3), 537-554.

Chung, H. & Beretvas, S.N. (2011). The impact of ignoring multiple membership data structures in multilevel models. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, Early View.http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2044-8317.2011.02023.x/abstract

Hope this helps,

Cam