RE: st: Cross-classification question

From   Cameron McIntosh <>
Subject   RE: st: Cross-classification question
Date   Mon, 9 Jan 2012 23:10:20 -0500

Hi Sarah,
You might get more feedback on this type of question on the Multilevel discussion list: ;

It's true that the data you describe don't fit neatly into the usual cross-classified modeling scenarios. The closest example I have sometimes seen used is a study of intellectual growth where the students change classrooms over time... within your model the cross-classification by students and classrooms is contemporaneous but perhaps similar methods might be useful. I think you are generally on the right track w.r.t. the random effect modeling you suggest, but the following papers may give you some additional guidance:

Luo, W., & Kwok, O.-M. (2011). The Consequences of Ignoring Individuals' Mobility in Multilevel Growth Models: A Monte Carlo Study. Journal of Educational and Behaviorial Statistics, Online First.

Fielding, A., & Goldstein, H. (2006). Cross-classified and Multiple Membership Structures in Multilevel Models: An Introduction and Review. Research Report RR791. Birmingham, UK: Department  for Education and Skills, University of Birmingham.

Goldstein, H., Burgess, S., & McConnell, B. (2007). Modelling the effect of pupil mobility on school differences in educational achievement. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 170, 941-954.

Leckie, G. (2009). The complexity of school and neighbourhood effects and movements of pupils on school differences in models of educational achievement. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 172(3), 537-554.

Chung, H. & Beretvas, S.N. (2011). The impact of ignoring multiple membership data structures in multilevel models. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, Early View.

Hope this helps,