Re: st: Binary model with many zeros and few ones

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Binary model with many zeros and few ones
Date   Fri, 6 Jan 2012 11:33:36 +0000

Zero inflation as I understand it applies to situations in which there
is some kind of mixture of individuals who are zero for one reason and
individuals who are zero or one for another reason. For example, many
people never visit football matches and some may visit football
matches but just didn't do so during some survey period.  I don't
think your description here justifies that term. Some people might
want to describe your situation as one of  rare events and you might
want to Google "Gary King rare events logit". But that said, I would
certainly try -logit- or -probit- first.

Nick