Re: st: marginsplot is acting differently

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: marginsplot is acting differently
Date   Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:33:18 -0500

At 05:18 PM 12/30/2011, Richard Williams wrote:
-marginsplot- seems to be acting differently than it was a few months ago, and the change is not for the better. Here is my code:

webuse nhanes2f, clear
logit diabetes i.female age, nolog
margins, dydx(black female) at(age=(20 30 40 50 60 70)) vsquish
marginsplot, noci

When I ran this a few months ago, I got a line for and 1.female, which is what I want. But, when I run it now, I also get lines for and 0b.female. The latter are worthless because they are simply the same as the X axis, i.e. the effects are always 0.

OK, I think I may have isolated the problem. If I go to the Stata 12 updates folder and temporarily rename the file _marg_save.ado (i.e. I disable it) then I get the graphic I think I should be getting. _marg_save.ado is dated Oct 14, 2011, which is after I created my graphic in September. There are quite a few differences between the original and new versions of _marg_save.ado, but somewhere in those differences I think a bug got introduced. If the people at StataCorp aren't checking the list while at their Company New Year's Eve party, I will send tech support a note in a few days about it!

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu