Re: st: Updates for nearstat and splagvar available for download

From   "P. Wilner Jeanty" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Updates for nearstat and splagvar available for download
Date   Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:31:36 -0600

Sorry for posting this again. Contrary to my previous post, the
correct way to install updates for -nearstat- is to code:

ssc install nearstat, replace

Best,

Wilner

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM, P. Wilner Jeanty <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks to Kit Baum, new versions for -nearstat- and -splagvar- are
> available on SSC. Using Mata, the Stata’s new matrix language,
> -nearstat- calculates distances, generates distance-based variables,
> and exports the distances to a Stata matrix, a Mata file, or a text
> file. To  generate the variables, nearstat performs, for each
> observation in a georeferenced Stata dataset, a series of
> computational tasks including, but not limited to, calculating
> distance-weighted descriptive statistics over all neighbors, nearest
> neighbors, and neighbors falling in a specified distance band;
> calculating distance to nearest neighbors; counting the number of
> neighbors falling in a specified distance band; and determining
> whether a specified (e.g., first, second, third,…) nearest neighbor
> falls within a certain distance band. Central to the power behind
> -nearstat- is a striking Mata function, -minindex()-. Updates include
> some fixes (e.g., display format when option des() is specified), an
> option to request a variable holding the minimum or maximum distance
> from each observation to its neighbors, and an option -iidist()- to
> request a variable holding one-to-one distance (i.e., diagonal
> elements) when latitudes and longitudes specified in -varlist1- are
> different from those specified with the -near()- option.
>
> -splagvar- generates spatially lagged variables of order up to 3,
> constructs the Moran scatter plot, and calculates global Moran's I
> statistics to test for the presence of spatial dependence in a
> variable.  Spatially lagged variables can now be generated for a
> specific equation when the equation(#) option is specified.  If
> equation(#) option is specified, then -splagvar- form the names of the
> spatially lagged variables by prefixing the names of the variables
> whose spatial lags were taken with wy#_, wx#_, w2x#_, and w3x#_, where
> # stands for the equation number. Otherwise, names are formed by
> prefixing  the supplied variable names with wy_, wx_, w2x_, and  w3x_.
>
> To install the new versions type the following command lines and then
> restart Stata.
>
> ssc install nearestat, replace
> ssc install splagvar, replace
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Wilner
>

> ----------------------------
> P. Wilner Jeanty
> Rice University
> MS 208 6100 Main Street Houston, TX 77005
> Phone: (713) 348-3114
> Email: [email protected]
> Web: http://www.kinder.rice.edu
>           http://www.stasacode.com
>           http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje95.html
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

P. Wilner Jeanty, Post-doctoral researcher
Dept. of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics
The Ohio State University
2120 Fyffe Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210
(614) 292-6382 (Office)