Re: st: rounding error

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: rounding error
Date   Tue, 20 Dec 2011 16:52:55 +0000

Maarten makes the main point, which is a VFAQ on this list.

In addition, a detail with -display- is that if no format is
specified, -display- tends to round fairly intelligently. This is
usually a feature, but conversely -display- without a format is not a
reliable guide to what a number "really" is.

-round()- can have two arguments, and it is certainly useful on
occasion to be able to do things like -round(x, 5)- or -round(x, 10)-.
But it is hard to see that rounding to a fractional argument serves
_any_ useful purpose. Certainly there have many posts over several
years in which it is evident that people think that -round(x, 0.1)-
is, or should be, the way to get display to 1 decimal place. That is
the job of formats, not rounding functions.