st: populating a local macro with a stringvariable

From   Daniel Pilsgaard Henriksen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: populating a local macro with a stringvariable
Date   Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:33:40 +0100

Dear Statalist

I'm new to using macros in stata, and I'm having trouble populating
local macro with a variable containing strings sorted by their length
instead of their order of apperence. Here's an example of my problem

inp str30 alt
"a"
"aaa"
"b"
"bb"
"c"
"d"
"e"
"f"
"g"
end

gen len = length(alt)
sort length
levelsof alt, loc(i)

I'm sure there're a easy way of doing this, but I've tried for some
time now and it's not showing up.

Cheers
Daniel
--