Re: st: ym() date function is acting strangely

From   Gabi Huiber <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ym() date function is acting strangely
Date   Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:50:56 -0800

Thank you, everybody. Bill is right. In the do-file I was editing, I
have %td instead of %tm. I corrected, re-ran, and now all is well. My
x-axis labels now make sense.

However: I was absolutely sure that when I tried to replicate this for
the Statalist, I had typed at the command line exactly what I showed
in my previous e-mail: %tm, not %td. So, when Bill doubted me, I fired
up the do-file editor with an untitled tab, and got to work on doing
it again.

This time, the Stata do-file editor decided to fix my work by changing
%tm to % and that tiny upperscript, uppercase "TM", as in "trade
mark". I was shocked. I took a screen shot.

This only happens in a new untitled tab. When I went to the tab where
I had the original do-file with the %td, I could change it to %tm and
save over without a problem.

I guess the do-file editor treats plain text as it should if you type
it in a tab where an existing do-file is being edited; and it's
killing you with helpfulness in an untitled tab that it has not yet
associated with a do-file.

I bet this only happens on the Mac, too. All this cute overload only
happens on the Mac.

Gabi