RE: ST: st: Logistic regression & standardized coefficients; Multinomial GOF test

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: ST: st: Logistic regression & standardized coefficients; Multinomial GOF test
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:03:20 -0500

Hi Ron,

It may make sense to standardize only with respect to X (predictors), which is easy to do. But maybe have a look at some of the more complicated formulas in:

Menard, S. (2011). Standards for Standardized Logistic Regression Coefficients. Social Forces, 89(4), 1409-1428.

Menard, S. (2004). Six Approaches to Calculating Standardized Logistic Regression Coefficients. The American Statistician, 58, 218-223.

I think it might be fairly straightforward to extend them to the nominal case. That said, you would have to think hard about whether it makes sense to standardize the predictors. This may only make sense with continuous predictors, and in my view it does not render effects comparable, because standard deviations differ across predictors and also across groups on the same predictor. I think the cautions in the following papers would apply:

King, G. (1986). How Not to Lie With Statistics: Avoiding Common Mistakes in Quantitative Political Science. American Journal of Political
Science, 30(3), 666-687.http://gking.harvard.edu/files/mist.pdf>http://gking.harvard.edu/files/mist.pdf

Richards, J.M., Jr. (1982). Standardized versus Unstandardized Regression Weights. Applied Psychological Measurement, 6(2), 201-212.
Greenland, S., Schlessman, J.J., & Criqui, M.H. (1986). The fallacy of employing standardized regression coefficients and correlations as measures of effect. American Journal of Epidemiology, 123, 203–208.
Greenland, S., Maclure, M., Schlessman, J.J., Poole, C., & Morgenstern, H. (1991). Standardized Regression Coefficients: A Further Critique and Review of Some Alternatives. Epidemiology, 2(5). 387-392.
Criqui, M.H. (1991). On the Use of Standardized Regression Coefficients. Epidemiology, 2(5), 393.
Hargens, L.L. (1976). A Note On Standardized Coefficients as Structural Parameters. Sociological Methods & Research, 5(2), 247-256

Kim, J.O., & Feree, G. D. (1981). Standardization in causal analysis. Sociological Methods and. Research, 10(2), 187–210.

Best,
Cam