Re: st: Preventing double counting

From (Brendan Halpin)
Subject   Re: st: Preventing double counting
Date   Wed, 07 Dec 2011 23:47:37 +0000

On Wed, Dec 07 2011, Michael Betz wrote:

> Does anyone have any
> suggestions about how I could get rid of the second observation that
> gives me the negative net migration of the first observation?

If the data is consistent and full (all pairs in the data), then

keep if orig_state < dest_state

will throw away the redundant half (and the uninformative diagonal).

My instinct, however, would be to test the assumptions of consistency
(i.e. Mij = - Mji) and the presence of all pairs. A simple test would be
to repeat the exercise with

keep if orig_state > dest_state

and checking that you get identical data (with the sign reversed).

Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology