st: Re: St: Logistic regression & standardized coefficients; Multinomial GOF test

From   Ronald McDowell <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Re: St: Logistic regression & standardized coefficients; Multinomial GOF test
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:31:45 +0000

Thanks for the excellent references (below). A follow-up question is whether there is such a thing as standardized coefficients in multinomial logistic regression models,
and if so if there are any parallel references.

Many thanks

Ron McDowell
Institute of Nursing Research
University of Ulster, Coleraine

Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:14:22 -0500
From: Richard Williams <>
Subject: Re: st: St: Logistic regression & standardized coefficients; Multinomial GOF test

At 11:55 AM 12/6/2011, Ronald McDowell wrote:
>Hi all
>1. I've been looking at some materials online about standardized
>coefficients in logistic regression eg.
>Full standardization includes dividing the estimated coefficients by
>the standard deviation of Y*. Can someone clarify for me what
>exactly Y* is ? I'm aware it is a function of the fitted values. I
>have used listcoef and fitstat to obtain sd(Y*) so far, but
>  would like to be able to manually compute it.

See Long & Freese's book for a detailed explanation:

For a mini-explanation, including how to compute manually, see

For more advanced discussions, see the first 19 slides of

Also take a look at the -khb- command on SSC and the papers
associated with it. The relevant papers may still be forthcoming so
you may need to write the authors if you want them.

Finally, I don't have the full citation handy, but Scott Menard
offered an alternative approach to Y-standardization in a 2010 issue
of Social Forces.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu