Re: st: Setting same seed, getting different random numbers.

From   Richard Gates <>
Subject   Re: st: Setting same seed, getting different random numbers.
Date   Fri, 02 Dec 2011 07:21:30 -0600

Patrick wrote:
> I encountered a strange problem. I tried running the same code on two
> different versions of Stata - one Stata/SE 12.0 on a server, and one
> Stata/SE 11.2 on my own computer. Both generate normal random numbers
> in mata with the same seed. But after a while the random numbers they
> generate differ! The code is as follows
> set seed 2
> mata
> f = rnormal(1000000,1,0,1)
> On the two machines, f[1,1] = .7005116833. But one one f[1000000,1] =
> -.5182349644, and on the other it is .7083750352.
> This strikes me as bizarre and impedes replication of my code across
> computers. Any ideas as to what's going on here?

We have been able to reproduce this issue.  We are looking into the cause, and
we will report back to statalist when we have more information.

Richard Gates