st: max number of variables in Stata IC/11.1

From   "Ivica Rubil" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: max number of variables in Stata IC/11.1
Date   Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:51:27 +0100

Dear all,

here's the problem: I'm trying to run -nlsur- with 12 equations, same 34
regressors in each, and 354 coefficients to be estimated. When I run it,
Stata returns the following error message:

no room to add more variables
    An attempt was made to add a variable that would have resulted in
more than 2048 or 2047 variables (Stata reserves one variable
    for its own use).  You have the following alternatives:

     1.  Drop some variables; see help drop.

     2.  If you are using Stata/SE, increase maxvar; see help maxvar.

I'm using Stata IC/11.1 which, as far as I'm aware, accepts more
variables than I actually have (46 = 34 regressors + 12 dep. var.), plus
I have compressed (-compress-) all of them.

Please, help.

Ivica Rubil
Ekonomski institut / The Institute of Economics, Zagreb
a. Trg J. F. Kennedyja 7, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
t. +385-1-2362-269
f. +385-1-2335-165