Re: st: nested logit tree

From   "Alvarez,Sergio" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: nested logit tree
Date   Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:02:27 -0500

Solon,

I may be misunderstanding, but it looks like you want to model a decision which has only two possible outcomes: firm is a supplier or firm is a buyer. If that is the case, you probably should use a probit or logit rather than a nested logit. You can also model whether the firm has an R&D department (yes or no) using a similar approach.

The nested and conditional logits are used when you have an agent (a firm) making a choice among many alternatives (more than two).

Take a look at the restaurant.dta sample dataset and the nlogit help file and it will become clear.

Best,

Sergio