st: RE: RE: graphing predicted effects

From   Sunil Kumar <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: RE: graphing predicted effects
Date   Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:13:12 +0000

With Stata 11 you can achieve most of what marginsplot would have done
for you, but you have to do several steps manually. The link
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/faq/mar_graph/margins_graph.htm
explains these steps very well.

Regarding binary or categorical variables, it usually doesn't make
sense to calculate means because these don't have a clear
interpretation. Instead, identify a set of population which is of
interest by setting categorical variables equal to some level, and
then calculate the marginal effect of the variable of interest, and
graph this. Alternatively, calculate a different marginal effect for
each level of the categorical variable, and then graph these together,
overlaying separate lines, to emphasize the difference in marginal
effects depending on category.