Re: RE: st: manipulate built-in stata commands

Subject   Re: RE: st: manipulate built-in stata commands
Date   Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:47:36 +0100

is there an example of how to build a wrapper around some command to modify what it produces?
fact is i don't want to add functionality but want to remove some...nevertheless thanks for your help maarten!
i actually want generate not to produce the line "(xyz changes made)".

thanks for your help!

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:26:19 +0000
> Von: Nick Cox <>
> An: "\'\'" <>
> Betreff: RE: st: manipulate built-in stata commands

> As I said in my posting, that's fine and what many people do.
> You could build a wrapper around -generate- that takes what it produces
> and modifies it.
> Nick
> Jakob Pohlisch/Raoul
> sorry but it seems i haven't made myself clear. My fault. its not that i
> wanted to change the code and thats it. i wanted to get the code so i could
> make my own .ado-file. if that is illegal i'am sorry but i really didn't
> know that. there are so many "unoffical" .ado-files out there, that i thought
> i could change some of them the way i need them - for my personal use...i
> didn't mean to hurt someone copyrights or something like that. for sure i
> didn't just wanted to change the code, but wanted to change it and create my
> "own" .ado-file like myowngenerate.ado. too bad that this isn't
> possible...
> > Von: daniel klein <>
> >
> > you are best advised not to change any of offical Stata's code, but to
> > copy that code and make changes in the copied version. You should also
> > document the changes in a .hlp file. Changing offical programs will
> > get you in trouble whenever these programs are updated and you are
> > likely to use track of what you did. Plus, it will become almost
> > impossible for others to understand your code, since you use offical
> > Stata's command names with syntax that differs for the documentation.
> >
> > This said, there is no way you can change build-in commands, since
> > these are in comiled C code.
> >
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *