Re: st: multilevel logistic model on aggregated data

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: multilevel logistic model on aggregated data
Date   Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:16:44 -0500

So how exactly is your data structured? Do you have classes nested in
schools nested in countries? Or was the original data aggregated on
the class level and then aggregated again on the school level so that
you have only schools nested in countries? (Is it really impossible to
get the original data?) And: does "using weights for the numerosity of
the class" mean that you think about including class size as an
offset? If you only have your dependent measure in aggregated form,
i.e. the smoking rate, you would not need an offset as the class size
was already used when calculating the rate (e.g., 10 students in a
class of size 20 smoke => 10/20=0.5). You could use class size as a
regular covariate if you had a substantial hypothesis about it, for
example, that smoking rates increase with increasing class sizes. But
that would be a different thing and would require that you actually
have class level data.

Joerg