Re: st: Intermittent crash: opening Data Editor, using SSH X-forwarding

From   Dave Ewart <davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk>
To   StataList <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Intermittent crash: opening Data Editor, using SSH X-forwarding
Date   Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:59:42 +0000

On Friday, 18.11.2011 at 16:09 +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a reason why one of our staff might be experiencing
> the following problem?
>
> About 10% of the time, Stata will crash when launching the Data
> Editor, invoked as either 'browse' or 'browse <variables>'.  On the
> 90% of occasions when it launches cleanly, it stays running fine.
>
> This error persisted across an upgrade from Stata 11 to Stata 12 (i.e.
> it occurred on both versions) and does not appear to be specific to
> any particular dataset (or set of variables selected when using
> 'browse <variables>').
>
> Our setup:
>
> - Stata 12 for Unix, running on Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 ("Squeeze")
> server;
>
> - Staff connect from Windows using PuTTY (SSH client) and Xming X
> server.
>
> Any ideas, people?

I've had no replies to the above, so I'm bumping the question, just in
case anyone who has an answer may have missed it. (Apologies for the
noise to others.)

I've looked at the error log for the Xming X server and it shows nothing
informative.

Has anyone else seen the above issue and not reported it?

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk