Re: st: destring ignores more than what specified in ignore()

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: destring ignores more than what specified in ignore()
Date   Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:55:23 +0000

The documentation should be sufficient to understand what a program
does. StataCorp are responsible for that!

What may have misled you is that examples for -ignore()- include " "
as delimiters. That is only needed if space " " is one of the
characters to be ignored, which it often is.

You are correct. ".." as a string value does not map to numeric
missing with -destring-, even though -real("..")- does. This is one of
several ways in which -destring- is fussier than -real()-, and the
fussiness is intended as a feature.

But you shouldn't change -destring-; at most clone it.

Nick