st: RE: Probability and non-response weights; how can I create a composite weight?

From   "Scholes, Shaun" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Probability and non-response weights; how can I create a composite weight?
Date   Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:20:43 +0000

Arturo, here are my thoughts.

1) Any adjustments to sampling weights (whether through direct standardisation or poststratification) will change both the estimates and standard errors.
2) I cannot see any objection to the composite weight you suggest. I would be very interested to know why such a weight is not recommended.
3) If using individual level data then the sum of the composite weight over all individuals should equal the population total of individuals (if all women in responding households are surveyed then
the responding households need to be weighted up to compensate for the non-responding HHs in each sampled village; and the sampled number of villages need to be weighted up to the total number of villages).
This you seem to do in your composite weight.

Hope this helps
Shaun