RE: st: destring ignores more than what specified in ignore()

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: destring ignores more than what specified in ignore()
Date   Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:36:19 +0000

On the information here

destring <varlist>, replace ignore("nas")

or

destring <varlist>, replace force

should work. Note that you don't need to set up your own loop or a prior filter of numeric variables; -destring- will do both for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 21 November 2011 08:22
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: destring ignores more than what specified in ignore()

-destring- ignores characters, not substrings. The problem is at most
that this is not clear to you when you read the help. -destring- did
what you told it to do, which was, among other things, to remove ".".

You need to fix your "n.a." and "n.s." first, e.g. within a loop

replace `var' = subinstr("`var'", "n.a.", ".", .)
replace `var' = subinstr("`var'", "n.s.", ".", .)

or as you did it.

-destring- is just a wrapper for -real()-, so -real()- is not really
an alternative except in so far as -destring- is not understood. Your
code is shorter and more efficient than -destring- as it can be
tailored to your problem.  In fact your last code segment can be
shortened as -real("n.a.")- for example results in numeric missing.

Nick