Re:st: xtpcse - "no time periods are common to all panels"

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re:st: xtpcse - "no time periods are common to all panels"
Date   Fri, 18 Nov 2011 07:55:25 -0500

What about

g iota = 1
egen howmany = total(iota), by(year)
tab year howmany
drop if howmany < (number of years)  where number of years refers to the entire dataset's range
tab year howmany

On Nov 18, 2011, at 2:33 AM,Wayne wrote:

> Thanks to Kit, Gordon, and Nick for their helpful answers to my question
> about -xtpcse-.  I had assumed that all of the panels included at least
> some common years, but that was not the case.  There may be easier ways
> to check this, but here is how I did it:
> * how many panels are present in each year?
> tabstat year, by(year) stat(N)
> xtset panel_id year
> * what is the pattern of missing years?
> xtdescribe
> by panel_id: gen yrs=_N
> tab yrs
> sort yrs panel_id year
> * visually checking the sorted data, it was easy to see that countries
> with fewer than 12 years of data were the problem
> drop if yrs<12
> drop yrs

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |