Re: st: Identifying the best scale without a "gold standard"

From   "Seed, Paul" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Identifying the best scale without a "gold standard"
Date   Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:21:11 +0000

Thank you Ronan (and Nick) for pointing me to some useful software.
And Jean-Benoit for writing it.

I agree about -clv- . It identified a single factor as the best
representation, but also suggested a possible second
factor, based on two scales with a higher than average
correlation.  All with the simplest possible format.

Paul Seed

Ronan Conroy <> wrote:

Date 	  Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:48:26 +0000

>>On 2011 Samh 16, at 18:15, Cameron McIntosh wrote:
>> Hayton, J.C., Allen, D.G., & Scarpello, V. (2004). Factor Retention Decisions in Exploratory Factor Analysis: a Tutorial on Parallel Analysis. Organizational >>Research Methods, 7(2), 191-205.

>A very well worthwhile article. The authors make the point that "Specifying too few factors results in the loss of important information by ignoring a factor or >combining it with another (Zwick & Velicer, 1986). This can result in measured variables that actually load on factors not included in the model, falsely loading >on the factors that are included, and distorted loadings for measured variables that do load on included factors. Furthermore, these errors can obscure the true >factor structure and result in complex solutions that are difficult to interpret (Fabrigar et al., 1999; Wood, Tataryn, & Gorsuch, 1996)."
>I really like Jean-Benoit Hardouin's -clv- command in this context, giving a splendid visual display of the structure of the items. It has revealed important >features of data, such as factors-within-factors, that would have been far harder to spot in the output of any factor analytic command.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland