Re: st: RE: -local- problem

From   saqlain raza <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: -local- problem
Date   Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:12:20 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Nick.

gen affiloui2=(affiloui - r(mean))/r(sd) creates the variable but it do not show any values of the variable, it shows only dots (.). How could it be dealt with?
Saqlain RAZA
PhD Student (

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Cox <>
To: "''" <>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:50 PM
Subject: st: RE: -local- problem

This problem was explained yesterday. The opening and closing ticks should be different:

Note that in your example locals are unnecessary and just complicate the code:

gen affiloui2=(affiloui - r(mean))/r(sd)

saqlain raza

I am in try to make a -local- with the following command:

local m=r(mean)
local sd=r(sd)

Then I try to generate a variable.

gen affiloui2=(affiloui - 'm')/'sd'

but it gives me an error

'm' invalid name

I have tried with double quotes but even then it is not working. How this problem can be solved? Is there any problem in making -local-? Note that affiloui is already a variable in the database.

*   For searches and help try: