RE: st: Quantum mechanics in Stata

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: Quantum mechanics in Stata
Date   Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:26:42 +0000

The link to "quantum mechanics" as physicists know it is tenuous, but the link is that there is a unit at the heart of things. Here it is the "a bat" (but nothing sub-atomic).

The purposes of the discussion, in my view, include (1) to have some fun (2) to learn something interesting or useful (in no particular order).

CJ Lan

Forgive me as a novice to the quantum mechanics to ask the following
question.  How is the quantum mechanics to do with using "Is an .833
Hitter Better Than a .338 Hitter?" as an example?  What is purpose of
this discussion here?

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Stas
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: st: Quantum mechanics in Stata

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)
<> wrote:
> Stas - There is an article by Jesse Frey in the American Statistician
May, 2007 "Is an .833 Hitter Better Than a .338 Hitter?" that elaborates
on your baseball example.

Um... it is rather the other way around: I reproduced the example
because it stuck in my head, but for the life of me, I would not
remember where I would have read about it! Thanks for the cite, Al!