RE: st: FW: ML for logit/ologit

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: FW: ML for logit/ologit
Date   Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:12:21 +0000

A bug in -ml- to do with the handling of powers would indeed be serious, but your posting has been overtaken by (what seems to be) a clear resolution of Thomas's problem, namely that the bug is his and his alone.

The correct spelling of Stata is "Stata". Please use it.

Yuval Arbel

Obviously, my advice is based on my own subjective experience. I
personally finds the work in MATLAB more convenient in the cases that
I have to define non-linear functions - and I even published a paper
with non-linear procedures I ran on MATLAB. I believe that the wisdom
is to exploit the specific advantages of each statistical package.
There are many other cases where I prefer working with STATA.

Moreover, if the bug is not a syntax error - I believe this is a very
serious bug - because it means the program does not know to identify
the very basic sign of power