Re: st: Identifying the best scale without a "gold standard"

From   Ronan Conroy <rconroy@rcsi.ie>
Subject   Re: st: Identifying the best scale without a "gold standard"
Date   Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:53:29 +0000

On 2011 Samh 14, at 20:53, Seed, Paul wrote:

> The research problem is to identify the best single scale for measuring breathlessness
> from the six candidates.  I was therefore interested in a valid test for
> identifying agreement of individual measures with a latent factor
> to which they all contributed.

The definition of 'best scale' is not without its difficulty. In most cases, scales are expected to make both longitudinal and cross-sectional measurements. For this reason, the ability to detect difference between groups that ought to be different, and to detect change in individuals when such change can reasonably be expected is also important.

Ronán Conroy
rconroy@rcsi.ie
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences