RE: st: Multinomial Logit Model - Cramer Ridder Test

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Multinomial Logit Model - Cramer Ridder Test
Date   Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:37:16 +0000

I naturally agree that authors often post stuff and then become too busy or too bored to maintain it fully. But I don't think that anyone other than the authors has the responsibility to do that.

In this case the author of -crtest- is, I think, still an active Stata user, although at a different address from that listed in the help file.

Richard Williams

At 08:47 AM 11/14/2011, Nick Cox wrote:
>This is not quite correct. Rather, installing -crtest- from SSC
>implies installing the current version of -_pecats- from SSC,
>which  presumably remains the responsibility of its authors.

Ahh. I see your point. But Long and Freese abandoned SSC a while
back, and Long maintains his programs on his own site. A consequence
is that SSC does not have the most current version of _pecats and
other popular programs like -fitstat-, which seems to be a frequent
cause of grief to people who don't realize they aren't running the
latest and greatest versions of those programs. In any event, I'd be
reluctant to rely on someone else's user-written program because, as
you say, they can make changes that would zap my code. I'd rather
copy the program and give it a unique name, so long as the original
authors did not object to that. Also, in the present case, having
_pecats on SSC prevents me from installing -crtest- unless I am
willing to overwrite the newer version of _pecats that I got from
Long's site. The current version of _pecats is

. which _pecats.ado, all

c:\ado\plus\_\_pecats.ado
*! version 1.7.3 2007-06-29 Stata 10 fix for categories

Perhaps it would be a good idea to hunt down all these abandoned Long
and Freese programs on SSC and add a note to their descriptions that
the most current versions are on Long's site. When in doubt, I
usually assume SSC has the most current version of a program, but in
the case of Long & Freese's programs that is not true.