Re: reL Re: st: Interpreting mediation model sobel goodman test

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: reL Re: st: Interpreting mediation model sobel goodman test
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:34:29 -0500

Thank you, John... I am working my way through your paper!

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:24:13 +0100
From: John Antonakis <>
Subject: Re: reL Re: st: Interpreting mediation model sobel goodman test

In the case of the following code:

set seed 123
set obs 1000
gen x = rnormal()
gen e = rnormal()
gen m = e + .5*x + rnormal()
gen y = .5*m - e + rnormal()
reg3 (y = m) (m = x), 2sls
nlcom [m]x*[y]m
sgmediation y, mv(m) iv(x)

What you want is not possible; to be clear once more, what you want is
what sgmediation gives. However, it cannot recover the correct indirect
effect because m is endogenous. One needs to instrument m with x so one
cannot regress y on x and control for m because both the coefficients of
x and m will be biased (because m is endogenous and this endogeneity
problem will be transmitted to x because x and m correlate). See the
discussion around Figure 1C and Section 3.1.1 regarding omitting a
regressor (in this case "e") in the following paper to get a handle on
the problem:

Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (2010). On
making causal claims: A review and recommendations. The Leadership
Quarterly, 21(6). 1086-1120.

When using 2SLS the direct effect of x on y is simply the reduced form
of the model:

reg y x

This gives a coefficient of .2373032, which is the same as the indirect
effect. It is not possible to get what you want when the mediator is

Prof. John Antonakis
Faculty of Business and Economics
Department of Organizational Behavior
University of Lausanne