RE: st: Ado File for MI Estimation Stata 12

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Ado File for MI Estimation Stata 12
Date   Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:45:00 +0000

I think you are bundling together different problem reports which I have flagged (a) (b) (c) in your posting.

You will get pertinent advice faster -- and avoid misleading list members with what turn out to be side issues -- by posting in more detail with concrete (not schematised) examples of your real commands. See the Statalist FAQ for advice and especially note the injunction:

"Say exactly what you typed and exactly what Stata typed (or did) in response. N.B. exactly! If you can, reproduce the error with one of Stata's provided datasets or a simple concocted dataset that you include in your posting."

Addressing (a):

The -cmdok- option is thus revealed to be necessary but not sufficient if -mi- does not explicitly support an estimation command. That is, -factor- is an estimation command but of idiosyncratic kind and in particular it does not leave behind certain e-class results that are essential for -mi- to work. The way ahead is closed to you on this route. It is not clear quite what you expect -factor- to impute, in any case.

At a wild guess, you are misreading -mi- as a kind of all-purpose framework for doing any model estimation even if you have missing values. It is very general, but not that general, at least at present.

What to do next depends on your goal. Perhaps -sem- will allow you to formulate a similar if not identical factor model. Others are better placed to make constructive suggestions but I think they would need to know much more about your substantive goals.

Addressing (b) and (c):

The full commands would help people provide better advice.

Donna L Quadri [edited]

(a)

When using the syntax mi estimate, cmdok: factor x1 x2 x3..... The
error message I receive is:

matrix e(b) is not set
matrix e(V) is not set

when using the syntax mi estimate, cmdok: sem ... it worked fine.

(b)

When performing estat gof on the sem estimation, received the error
message:

invalid subcommand gof

(c)

same response with mi estimate, cmdok: anova....it worked fine but no
estat commands did. Received same error message.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> You don't show us any of your syntax so it is difficult to comment. -ok- is an option of -mi estimate-, so your call would start
>
> mi estimate, ok: <whatever>
>
> except that there may be other options too.

Donna L Quadri

> I must not have the correct syntax for the cmdok option because I
> receive errors that I did not set it correctly. That would be
> preferable because I have never set up a program in Stata before and
> having challenges doing so correctly.
>
> Does the cmdok option require the program? Wasn't able to find a
> sample of the correct syntax to follow. Again, thanks,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Richard Williams