st: opposite sign of one of the independent variables

From   Deepti Garg <deeptigarg78@yahoo.com>
Subject   st: opposite sign of one of the independent variables
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2011 23:05:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi list,

I have been working on the panel data in Stata. There are some variables in the data. When I run the regression, the sign of the coefficient I am getting on one of the variables is the opposite of what I am considering in my research. The sign is as expected if I delete one of the independent variables included in the regression model. However, the correlation coefficient does not show any correlation between the two variables. Could someone please guide me on that?

Many many thanks in advance!
Deepti