Re: st: RE: Error? xtdpdsys assigns explanatory power to fixed effects

From   Lara K <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Error? xtdpdsys assigns explanatory power to fixed effects
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:39:55 +0100

Gustavo your reply is really helpful! Thank you so much!!
I have another question nevertheless. In my application - in a year-country panel data set - I estimate the effects of a certain variable W on the dependent variable Y. I know that the effect is different depending on the type of country. Therefore I created dummies for mutually exclusive groups of countries (a & b). Now I interact the variable W with these dummies (W*a, W*b) to estimate the effect of W with regard to the type of country.
By estimating subsamples (a==1 or b==1) I know that W has a positive effect for a-countries but a negative effect for b-countries. If I estimate the whole sample using XTDPDSYS and including the interaction terms W*a and W*b I falsely obtain positive coefficients for both. (If I use XTABOND I find a positive and a negative coefficient as expected.)

Is this a regression that cannot be done using XTDPDSYS as it estimates explanatory power for the 'zeros' in (W*a) for the b-countries??
Thank you very much for your helpful explanation!

I hope I formulated the question clear enough for you to understand.
A variation of my first small example using stata data would be:

    clear
    use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r11/abdata
    gen a=0
    replace a=1 if id <= 7
    gen aW= a * w

    gen b=0
    replace b =1 if id > 7
    gen bW=b * w
    xtset id year

    xtabond n L(0/2).(aW bW k) yr1980-yr1984 year, vce(robust)
    xtdpdsys n L(0/2).(aW bW k) yr1980-yr1984 year, vce(robust)

(This is not working as a very good example because the subsamples a and b are not very different from each other.)