Re: st: RE: Overlaying an unknown number of line graphs

From   Colin Robert Angus <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Overlaying an unknown number of line graphs
Date   Wed, 09 Nov 2011 11:09:41 +0000

Nick & Antoine,

That's exactly what I needed,

Nick Cox said the following on 09/11/2011 10:58:
It's a loop:

local n = whatever forval i = 1/`n' { local call `call' (line freq`i' sample`i', sort) }
twoway `call'

You might to suppress the -legend()-.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Colin Robert Angus
Sent: 09 November 2011 10:48
Subject: st: Overlaying an unknown number of line graphs

Dear list,

I am writing a do file to take n random samplings from a distribution, for a user-inputted value of n. This file creates variables labelled sample`i' and freq`i' for each value of i between 1 and n. I would like to draw a single line graph with all of the plots of sample`i' against freq`i' overlaid on it.
So something like:
twoway (line freq1 sample1, sort) (line freq2 sample2, sort)...(line freqn samplen, sort) But I can't see how to write this without knowing the value of n beforehand, and then, if n is large, writing an incredibly long command.
Is there a way to do this within Stata?

*   For searches and help try:

Colin Angus
Research Assistant
Health Economics and Decision Science
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
University of Sheffield

   ScHARR, Regent's Court
   30 Regent St
   United Kingdom