st: Overlaying an unknown number of line graphs

From   Colin Robert Angus <>
Subject   st: Overlaying an unknown number of line graphs
Date   Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:48:25 +0000

Dear list,

I am writing a do file to take n random samplings from a distribution, for a user-inputted value of n. This file creates variables labelled sample`i' and freq`i' for each value of i between 1 and n. I would like to draw a single line graph with all of the plots of sample`i' against freq`i' overlaid on it.
So something like:
twoway (line freq1 sample1, sort) (line freq2 sample2, sort)...(line freqn samplen, sort) But I can't see how to write this without knowing the value of n beforehand, and then, if n is large, writing an incredibly long command.
Is there a way to do this within Stata?

Colin Angus
Research Assistant
Health Economics and Decision Science
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
University of Sheffield

   ScHARR, Regent's Court
   30 Regent St
   United Kingdom