st: Questions about interaction terms using #.

From   YangSP <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Questions about interaction terms using #.
Date   Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:35:31 +0000

Dear Statalister,

I need to generate interaction terms using exporter and year in a standard gravity model.

For example, my data is listed as follows,
year  exporter  importer  volume  GDP_exporter  GDP_importer  Distance ... ...
1995    A          B       1000       100          500             xxx
1996    A          B       2000       200          600             xxx
1997    A          B       3000       300          700             xxx

My two questions are:

Q1: What is the difference between "i.exporter*year" and "exporter#year"? I thought they were the same thing, but they are not because of the different resluts from them. Someone who can tell me what does each of them exactly mean.

Q2: If a command, e.g. qreg, does not support "exporter#year", how can I generate the interaction terms using "gen"?

Best wishes