Re: st: Generating Identifier based on string variable

From   Muhammad Anees <anees@aneconomist.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Generating Identifier based on string variable
Date   Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:54:12 +0500

Sorry, the first suggestion fails as the string variable is nonnumeric
and stata would say "name contains nonnumeric characters", rather you
can try

encode name, generate(name2)

--

Regards