Re: st: Generating Identifier based on string variable

From   Muhammad Anees <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Generating Identifier based on string variable
Date   Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:45:53 +0500

destring name, gen(new) should do as the names appear to be string variables

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Dawood Ashraf <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am trying to generate a new identifier variable based on names of individuals. The shape of the data is as follows:
>
> Name   Date
> Mark    1990
>
> Mark     1991
> Mark      1992
>
> Marry    1990
>
> Marry     1991
>
> Marry     1992
>
> Marry  1993
>
> Chris   1993
>
> Bob      1992
>

> Now I want to generate a new variable, Identifier which assign unique number to Mark, Marry, Chris and Bob as 1,2,3,4.
>
> I have looked in the help but could not find anything suitable. I have seen once a question similar to this on STATA and applied myself but somehow skipped from my mind. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Dawood
>

> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Regards
Muhammad Anees
Assistant Professor
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
Attock 43600, Pakistan
www.aneconomist.com