Re: st: Bug in odbc - allstring?

From (Kevin Crow, StataCorp LP)
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Bug in odbc - allstring?
Date   Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:01:35 -0600

Richard Palmer-Jones <> wrote :

>I wonder if there is a bug in odbc with the "allstring" option? I try to load
>an excel worksheet which has some cells - for example - "1,2,3" corresponding
>to multiple responses to a question. The cell in the first row happens to have
>a "1" as only one response was recieved.  The variables in stata is all strings
>but the "1,2,3" type entries are missing.
>odbc load , dsn("XXX") table("YYY")  allstring lower clear
>import excel works fine, so there is a work around, but it is inconvenient
>that odbc appears not to.

We could not recreate Richard's problem with the -allstring- option of
-odbc load- using Excel 2010 with the latest Excel ODBC drivers downloaded

We're contacting Richard to get more information about this problem and will
take this discussion off Statalist.  Once the issue has been resolved, we'll
post a followup to Statalist.

-Kevin Crow