RE: st: Calculation of covariance matrix for unbalanced sample?

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Calculation of covariance matrix for unbalanced sample?
Date   Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:19:20 -0400

I guess I would have been disappointed in Nick if my one-liner sans source material hadn't received that comment :) I don't know anything about the precise nature of the missingness in this case, but I might suggest one paper on a EM-ridge regression approach (I don't know about a Stata implementation, just Matlab), which *may* provide a more reliable end product:
Cole, S.R., Platt, R.W., Schisterman, E.F., Chu, H., Westreich, D., Richardson, D., & Poole, C. (2010). Illustrating bias due to conditioning on a collider. International Journal of Epidemiology, 39(2), 417-420. http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/39/2/417.full.pdf+htmlhttp://www.gps.caltech.edu/~tapio/imputation/
I think one might also use mi:
http://www.stata.com/stata11/mi.html
or chained equations:
Royston, P. (2009). Multiple imputation of missing values: Further update of ice, with an emphasis on categorical variables. The Stata Journal 9(3), 466–477.http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s446602.htmlhttp://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0067_4
White, I.R., Royston, P., & Wood, A.M. (2011). Multiple imputation using chained equations: Issues and guidance for practice. Statistics in Medicine, 30(4), 377–399.
I would be curious to see the differences in the finished product between these and the "unbalanced" suggestion.
Cam