RE: st: probable error, "weights invalid" using stset

From   "Brown, Elizabeth" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: probable error, "weights invalid" using stset
Date   Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:10:27 +0000

Oh, yes. That makes sense re: inverse probability of selection. Of course. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Austin Nichols
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:37 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: probable error, "weights invalid" using stset

Elizabeth <[email protected]> :
You are perhaps thinking of a cross-sectional regression later in the survey, where you might want to adjust for attrition.  But if you are using obs from 1968 on, you do not want to use the later weights...
you want to use the weights that are the inverse probability of selection into the sample in the first place.  But things get very complicated in the PSID, so if you want to be careful, you will have to make your own weights to adjust for your particular sample selection rules to make your sample representative of some larger population--but first define that population, as I said before.  All person-years in the US 1968 to the present?  Not possible.  All those who were eligible or had an ancestor eligible in 1968? Etc.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Brown, Elizabeth <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Austin,  and thank you for your reply. Just a few follow-on questions; 1) Why do you recommend using first-observed and not last-observed weight? If weights adjust for attrition, wouldn't I want to use the last-observed weight for an individual, just prior to their leaving the sample? The last observed weight seems more likely to account for individual probability of leaving the sample, no? ; 2) As a clarification, you're suggesting that weights would be identified as probable error if they were 0 or missing - are there any other reasons you can think of?; 3) Last, thanks for the link to the Jenkins primer on survival analysis -- I've been traipsing all over these pages. Very helpful, thanks!

of the original message.