Re: st: Ranking observations of a variable across a set of variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Ranking observations of a variable across a set of variables
Date   Wed, 2 Nov 2011 09:14:18 +0000

Also, specifically, the Stata Journal of -rowranks- supersedes the
version on SSC. The SSC version was left untouched because it works in
Stata 6 up, whereas the SJ version requires Stata 9 at least, given
Mata code therein.

Nick

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> For a detailed review of this and similar problems, see
>
> SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Rowwise
>        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
>        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
>        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
>        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced
>
> Note that -egen-'s -rank()- function is not producing incorrect
> results; it just does not produce what Jennifer wants and does not
> claim to. It ranks observations on the values of a variable, not
> variables on the values of a set of variables in each observation.
>
> Nick
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Tirthankar Chakravarty
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> You probably want Nick Cox's -rowranks- package, available from SSC:

>> clear*
>> input x1 x2 x3 x4
>> 50 10 30 60
>> 20 60 10 40
>> end
>> ssc install rowranks
>> rowranks x1-x4, generate(rank1-rank4) field
>> li
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Jennifer L. Milosch
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I am trying to find the rank of an observation of a variable across a set of
>>> variables. My data looks something like this:
>>>
>>> x1|x2|x3|x4
>>> 50|10|30|60
>>> 20|60|10|40
>>>
>>> I want to generate a variable for the rank of x1 compared to the values of
>>> x1, x2, x3, and x4 for each observation in the data.  I have tried using
>>>
>>> -bysort x1 x2 x3 x4: egen rank1=rank(x1)-
>>>
>>> but it is returning a variable of all ones, which is not correct.  Using the
>>> data above, I'm look for variables that are:
>>>
>>> rank1|rank2|rank3|rank4
>>> 2 |4 |3 |1
>>> 3 |1 |4 |2