st: RE: RE: query on testing uniform distributions

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: query on testing uniform distributions
Date   Tue, 1 Nov 2011 17:30:26 +0000

It is not clear whether you have been following the entire thread started by Maarten Buis.

Quite what you want to do is unclear. In principle, -ksmirnov- contains no special way of respecting the discreteness of either the data or any theoretical distribution. In practice, that might not matter with 360+ distinct values. But it's a blunt tool any way.

Also, your syntax

as you say reveals that you have just a single year's data, namely

. di %d 14341

. di %d 14705

For your set-up -ksmirnov- sounds a red herring in that it won't tell you much more than -quantile-. In fact, -quantile- is evidently too coarse a tool if you cannot see any fine structure in what it produces. Some suggestions of other tools have already been made in the thread, which is where I started.

Sergio Salis

Dear Marteen,

Many thanks for your response. You suggest using

-quantile employment_start_dates, aspect(1)

to graphically test whether employment_start_dates follow a uniform distribution. (I can see from the graph it does.)

I understand that to check whether employment_start_dates follow a uniform distribution I can also use the ksmirnov test. It is not clear to me what the command -ksmirnov hazel=hazel- actually does (so I would appreciate if you could provide some further explanation on this). However, if employment_start_dates was a continuous variable I would use

-ksmirnov employment_start_date=14341+int((14705-14341+1)*runiform())

where 14705 is the first and 14341 the last day of the tax year of interest. Is this syntax line correct in case one deals with a continuous variable? If so, how can it be changed to deal with a discrete variable, which is my case?