Re: st: RE: RE: bootstrap reject()

Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: bootstrap reject()
Date   Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:17:30 +0100

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Shehzad Ali <drshehzad_ali@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wasn't sure, however, about the syntax of the -reject()- option. It does not seem to work with -if- statements only. If we want to 'reject if costdiff>1000', what would be the best way to do this using the -reject- option?

The quote the helpfile of -bootstrap-: "reject(exp) identifies an
expression that indicates when results should be rejected.  When exp
is true, the resulting values are reset to missing values." So you
just use the expression you already stated (i.e. without -if-).
However, this looks extremely dodgey: that way you can make your
standard error as small as you like. My take on this is that your
collegue will just have to live with the fact that his/her effects are
not significant, or at the very least use Nick's suggestion so that
the readers can choose for themselves whether they believe the dodgey
or the real estimates...

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie