Re: st: RE: assigning same number to slightly different string var.

From   "Philip Hantschk" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: assigning same number to slightly different string var.
Date   Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:43:50 +0100

Thanks for the quick answer. i work with stata 8, so i had to use index( instead of strpos(.
It works fine, but i have a little problem left. For example an index is called FTSE Europe and another FTSE Europe ex UK. These are 2 different Indices and I want to assign different numbers, but when i write
replace newvar = 1 if index(myvar, "FTSE Europe") it changes both.

As I write this message I think I have a solution. I first change all FTSE to 1, then FTSE Europe to 1, then FTSE Europe ex UK to 2, then FTSE Europe USD to 3 etc. From short to long.

What do you think of that idea? or is there an easier way?

Philip Hantschk

-------- Original-Nachricht --------