Re: st: query on testing uniform distributions

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: query on testing uniform distributions
Date   Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:05:04 +0100

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Nick Cox wrote:
> The expected frequencies here are easy to calculate, so I'd move to
> Pearson residuals, (observed - expected) / sqrt(expected) and also
> plot those against day of year to see what fine structure there is.
> The quantile plot is a good starting point, but needs to be followed
> up.

Just an extra detail on the extra detail: In this case, where the
model is a uniform distribution, the division by sqrt(expected) would
just rescale all residuals by the same number. I would probably look
at the raw residuals, as that way the picture would be exactly the
same, but I would find the scale of the residuals to be easier to

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen