Re: st: subpopulations, subpopulation weights in gllamm

Subject   Re: st: subpopulations, subpopulation weights in gllamm
Date   Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:00:53 -0500

-gllamm- does not support -subpop()- option, as the latter is the
option of -svy- only. Specifying -if- might work OK in your case if
you find overweight children in every cluster (in other words, if your
subpopulation does not eliminate any clusters). I would suggest
looking at West, Berglund and Heeringa (2008,
http://stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0153). They identify
this and other situations when specifying an -if- condition is
equivalent to specifying -subpop()- option (although generally, of
course, -if- is an absolute no-no with survey data, as you are well
aware of). Another way of specifying the subpopulation is to manually
zero out the weights outside of subpopulation. You could try different
approaches and see if they produce the same answer.